The AAIM Board of Directors approved a new diversity, equity, and inclusion statement at its meeting October 16, 2019. As part of the Alliance’s ongoing support to promote diversity, equity, mutual respect, and inclusiveness, AAIM will focus on eight key deliverables.
AAIM Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Statement
The Alliance for Academic Internal Medicine (AAIM) is committed to promoting and championing diversity, equity and inclusion as a strategic imperative in support of academic internal medicine physicians, administrators, and physicians-in-training. AAIM will:
- Facilitate the professional development, continuing education, support and growth of physicians, administrators, and physicians-in-training in academic internal medicine from diverse backgrounds within AAIM and departments of medicine nationally;
- Support physicians, administrators, and physicians-in-training in academic internal medicine to work collaboratively with colleagues of diverse backgrounds within and across institutions to advance high quality and equitable care for all patients;
- Recognize academic internal medicine physicians, administrators, and physicians-in-training whose work substantially advances diversity, equity and inclusion through systems which ensure high quality care for all patients;
- Create an inclusive environment and welcoming home for all committed physicians, administrators, and physicians-in-training, and work to promote similar environments for members and learners within departments of medicine nationally;
- Equip internal medicine medical educators with the ability to prepare the next generation of physicians with the knowledge, skills and attitudes required to effectively care for our diverse population;
- Stimulate research that supports high quality care and mitigation of health disparities;
- Partner with other internal medicine organizations to develop tools, resources, and best practices; and
- Develop outcome-based metrics to assess diversity, equity, and inclusion efforts in academic internal medicine.
August 2019—Alliance Signs on as Supporter of TIME’S UP Healthcare
AAIM has signed on as a sponsor of TIME’S UP Healthcare, whose mission is “to unify national efforts to bring safety, equity, and dignity to our healthcare workplace.” Among the goals of TIME’S UP Healthcare are uniting workers across fields, improving care for targets of harassment and inequity, raising awareness and knowledge, and supporting healthcare organizations in making issues central and visible.